KS1/KS2 Victorian option
A really fun day, full of facts and finding out. Through handling artefacts and hands-on activities discover the facts, dilemmas and challenges of Victorian children’s lives in your area.
- The day starts with all the arrival of the local education board inspector who is there to decide what type of work each child is suited for.
- Each child takes a domestic service interview, trying out a range of household tasks in the days before electricity. They will use the wash tub, possers, flat irons, beaters, scrubbing brushes, besom brooms and use sand to wash the pots!
- Take the Victorian ‘wotsit’ test of household items.
- Demonstrate the success of their Victorian education, using slates and dip pens – and the cane! Make your mark on your apprentice indenture contracts and discover how much (!!) you will have been paid.
- Take on an apprenticeship at the local cutlery workshop, using old Sheffield tools to make a knife and put your maker’s mark on it.
- In your precious time off discover where poorer children found their toys and play traditional street games. See how the other half live by visiting the toy shop and handling Victorian toys for richer children.
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – email@example.com
Victorian Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.