Through a mix of activities in the school hall and in classrooms, the children use artefacts from the World War 2 era and hands-on activities to discover the facts, dilemmas and challenges of the Blitz, Evacuation and Rationing in your area.
Your children will be..
- Learning incendiary bomb drill, and using stirrup pumps to put out ‘fires’.
- Getting ready for a night in the air raid shelter: choosing which items to take to keep warm, occupied and comfortable overnight – but what do you do with your dog?!
- Cleaning up after an air raid using original household items from the period to discover domestic life in the 1940s.
- Using a Morse Code machine and maps to find out whether your area will be attacked and to decipher German bombing raid instructions.
- Using weekly rations and ration books to discover how to keep fed and clothed.
- Deciding what to do with RAF (or German!) property they have found – a dilemma between honesty and their family’s needs.
- Making toys from scraps after toy making in factories has been banned.
- Packing for evacuation, just in case (!) and using dip pens to write labels and packing period clothes.
- Preparing to entertain local factory workers with songs from the time.
- For Sheffield schools, discover the impact of the Sheffield Blitz. For other areas, find out the impact of bombing raids, or what more rural areas did to help prevent larger towns being bombed using decoys.
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – firstname.lastname@example.org
World War Two Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.