Meet the people who live inside a Norman castle, see how they lived, the jobs they had, animals they kept and much more.
From Lords and Ladies to serfs, your children will find out about living in a castle – hands-on! Using masses of artefacts and activities, your children will discover how to ‘take care’ of the castle’s animals, how to fetch water, grow food, cook, make weapons, avoid the plague and protect the castle from invasion. Then they will prepare for a visit from the King, entertaining him with songs from the period.
- Use hammers and local tools to make ‘weapons’ to protect the castle
- Try out siege engines to protect the castle
- Use old and replica farming tools and techniques to produce food in the castle ‘fields’
- Make and wear Medieval clothes, chain mail and hats
- Use quill pens to practice Medieval writing for the castle accounts
- Use herbs to protect them from disease and smells in the castle
- Prepare for castle entertainment for the King’s Visit
- Make heraldic family shields ready for the King’s Visit
- Play Medieval castle games
- But if they don’t work hard enough they will end up in the stocks!
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – firstname.lastname@example.org
Normans & Castles Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.