Go back in time to the Second Baron’s War of 1264-67 and learn the role our region and it’s barons played. Will you be a Royalist or a Rebel? Meet the people who live inside a Norman castle, see how they lived, the jobs they had, animals they kept and much more. Will you be going to work at Sheffield, Bolsover, Peveril or Duffield Castle? Will you be present at the Battle of Chesterfield in 1266? Who will be victorious?
From Lords and Ladies to serfs, your children will find out about living in a castle – hands-on! Using masses of artefacts and activities, your children will discover how to ‘take care’ of the castle’s animals, how to fetch water, grow food, cook, make weapons, avoid the plague and protect the castle from invasion. Will they be on the side of King Henry III and Prince Edward, or will they follow the rebel forces of Simon de Montford? They will prepare for a visit from their Lord, entertaining him with songs from the period.
- Use hammers and local tools to make ‘weapons’ to protect the castle and to fight in the Battle of Chesterfield.
- Try out siege engines to attack the castles of Sheffield and Duffield
- Use old and replica farming tools and techniques to produce food in the castle ‘fields’
- Make and wear Medieval clothes, chain mail and hats
- Use quill pens to practice Medieval writing and sign their oaths to their Lord
- Use herbs to protect them from disease and smells in the castle
- Prepare for castle entertainment for the Lord’s Visit
- Make heraldic family shields ready to show which side they are on in the Second Baron’s War
- Play Medieval castle games
- But if they don’t work hard enough they will end up in the stocks!
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – firstname.lastname@example.org
Normans & Castles Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.