Perfect for KS2
Join the household of George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury and his wife, Bess of Hardwick. Travel around his estates in Sheffield and Derbyshire as he fulfils his most important role… Jailor of Mary, Queen of Scots. The tension between Protestant and Catholic was not just far away in London as the pressure of holding Mary made it’s mark. What was life like for the people within the Castles and Halls where she was held?
Your children discover the life of town and country in the 1500s…
- Go to work in the household of the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury: mend walls; work with the animals; clean, scrub, sweep and polish; help someone take their yearly ‘bath’ and then try on clothes while you are still clean!
- Discover the importance of wool – washing, combing, spinning and weaving wool and laws about wearing woollen clothing – and being buried in it!
- Learn how to protect yourself from the Plague, and examine a Plague Doctor’s outfit.
- Discover Tudor table manners – can you follow the do’s and don’ts?
- Discover Tudor games and playthings – playing with wooden hoops, whips and tops, knuckle bones, marbles and more
- As a soldier, be ready to defend against Catholic rebellion or travel to new lands to claim them for your Queen, Elizabeth. Sign your oath of allegiance using quills, practice with weapons and armour.
- Discover Tudor punishments and law by spending time in the Pillory for bad behaviour!
- Learn about the fledgling metal working industry growing on the banks of the local rivers, and create your own ‘tools’.
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tudors Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.