Through a mix of activities in the School Hall and in classrooms, the children use artefacts from the WWII era and hands-on activities to discover the facts, dilemmas and challenges of living through the Blitz, Evacuation and Rationing in your area. The end of the War is greeted with huge celebration and the children prepare their own VE Day party.
Your children will be..
Surviving the War by…
- Learning incendiary bomb drill, and using stirrup pumps to put out ‘fires’.
- Getting ready for a night in the air raid shelter: choosing which items to take to keep warm, occupied and comfortable overnight – but what do you do with your dog?!
- Cleaning up after an air raid using original household items from the period to discover domestic life in the 1940s.
- Using a Morse Code machine and maps to find out whether your area will be attacked and to decipher German bombing raid instructions.
- Preparing to be evacuated.
Celebrating the end of war by…
- Bartering your rations so you can make a cake for the party.
- Deciding what to do with RAF property they have found – a dilemma between honesty and the need to make decorations for the party!
- Finding out why some men could not come to the party.
- Learning and singing songs for the party, and playing traditional party games.
- Hold your very own VE Day party.
Schools booking for more than 1 class will be provided with teacher-led activities for use when they are not with Kathryn, so that all the children are involved throughout the day.
Prices: £190/£295 for half/full day plus £30 for each extra class plus travel expenses – please enquire to discuss exact costs – email@example.com
World War Two Classroom Topic Boxes
Topic specific books, chosen by you to be used in your classroom throughout your topic. Available to rent or to buy outright, please get in touch to discuss your classroom needs. All books are available to view and purchase here.